Compass Playgroup offers a safe, happy and enriching environment where young children can gain the immeasurable benefits of learning through play.
We are located in the Dean Park Primary Pre-School Centre, in the heart of Balerno. Our premises provide an excellent venue for our children, aged 2-5 years, to participate in a wide variety of activities based around the Scottish Executive Curriculum Framework.
Compass Playgroup has been serving the community of Balerno for over 40 years, and has been instrumental in the early years education of generations of local children.
Our aims have stood the test of time as we continue to:
- offer quality care and early years education, in partnership with parents, to pre-school aged children
- provide a happy, safe, child-centred, caring environment that is stimulating and challenging for the children
- encourage the emotional, social, physical, creative and intellectual development of each child
- give every child the opportunity to develop their own interests and skills in the way most appropriate to them
- make the transition from home to playgroup, and playgroup to nursery, a positive and enjoyable experience
Our dedicated staff have excellent child care experience and qualifications and are fully vetted via the Protecting Vunerable Groups (PVG) scheme. We operate within the regulated staff:child ratio in accordance with The Care Inspectorate under whom the Playgroup is strictly regulated.
Our parents and carers are asked to contribute a healthy snack approximately once per term on a rota basis.
The Playgroup’s Committee along with the Staff manage the running of the playgroup. The committee is elected annually and is a voluntary body made of parents and carers whose children attend playgroup. Committee responsibilities include administrative duties, the employment of the staff and fundraising. New committee members and volunteers to help at specific events are always welcome!
Compass Playgroup is a registered charity and we are members of the Scottish Pre-School Play Association and are regulated by the Care Inspectorate. The Care Inspectorate graded us "very good" for quality of care, support and environment in October 2018.
Compass Playgroup is a registered Scottish Charity - SCO13050